Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Video Game Worlds are SCARY

So I was watching Felicia Day's latest Flog here and eventually she gets to the user submitted question of the week. The question seemed harmless enough, merely asking, "If you were to live in a video game world, which world would it be?" Since she had a Q&A panel at Vidcon, she posited that question to people there.

Answers were what most people would expect. Hyrule, Azeroth, the world of Portal. Though early on, someone mentioned Fallout. I laughed a bit at that, but then it made me start to think about the question. Does it assume that we'd be heroes or heroines in this world once we were transported into it? Or would we be our current selves, transported there? Because, well...If it's the latter, well, screw living in video game worlds.



Why? Think about just how scary each of those propositions above is.

  • Hyrule - Evil constantly trying to take over the world. Also, punk kid kicking my chickens or breaking my jars.
  • Azeroth - Deathwing, nuff said.
  • The world of Portal - Well, its Earth...a dystopian future version of Earth, it seems. Even then, indicating you wanted to live in that world would suggest you wanted to be a test subject.
  • Fallout - Again, our world, but drinking radiated water does not sound like my idea of a good time.
I started running through other worlds in my mind, and not many of them seem particularly pleasant. Even Animal Crossing is terrible, because we'd end up owing Tom Nook for the rest of our lives. My wife's suggestion of Mineral Town from Harvest Moon doesn't sound particularly bad, but it also isn't somewhere I'd necessarily want to live. 

All in all, a majority of video game worlds are very scary for the people that live in them. That is why the players are there. They are there to fend off the evil or serve to make the world even worse. Either way, unless I'm able to go in as a whoever the player character is, then my answer is none.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I know the answer: Pokemon! I mean 90% of the people in the world are Pokemon trainers, if the games are to be believed. Your biggest danger would be Team (Whatever) stealing your Pokemon. Sounds legit to me.

    ReplyDelete