Sunday, February 1, 2015

Week 5: Another Final Fantasy Finally Finished

Two games completed in 2015! Hooray!

Seriously, though. I have this terrible habit of starting games and not finishing them, so it's actually nice to see them through to the end. It's not really an outstanding achievement or anything, but it makes me feel like I'm not wasting my money.

So, Final Fantasy XIII-2. What a strange game... From a gameplay standpoint, very solid. I'm a fan of the Paradigm system, and that was here and working very well. Having two permanent party members for the entirety of the game felt a bit weird, but the ability to get monsters and use them to build out the paradigms you had was pretty neat. There were "right answers", by which I mean there were ones you wanted to grind to have, and that's always a bit of a bummer since it doesn't really let you have the ones you WANT to have. 

The story was about time travel and paradoxes and fixing timelines, etc. I watch Doctor Who, so wibbley-wobbley timey-whimey stuff doesn't really bother me, but there were more than a few things that weren't explained very well at all. I'm not going to go into spoilers here, but man they used very theory of time travel that exists. I think. It's confusingly straightforward. 

Overall, it's not going to reside in my upper-tier list of Final Fantasy-related titles. I wasn't compelled to do any of the side content as I didn't really care enough about the rewards or characters to want to stick with them too long. My completed save clocked in at 18 hours, which is apparently not too far off from doing a speed run. Honestly, at 18 hours, I felt it was starting to overstay its welcome. I admit I almost gave up on the last boss with the intent to just watch the ending, simply because I'd screwed up my leveling and didn't realize it until the end, which made the final fight pretty difficult. I gave it another few goes, though, and managed to eek it out. That felt pretty good. In all I give it 3 Red Chocobos (yes that's actually the song that plays when you ride a red chocobo in the game)/5.

Up next, I'm really going to dig into Hyrule Warriors. I've not given that game the attention I've heard it deserves.

Currently Playing: Hyrule Warriors
Games Completed: 2
Games Purchased: 1
Net Total: +1


No comments:

Post a Comment