Sunday, January 11, 2015

Week 2 - Eclectic Boogaloo ( Grav , The Longest Journey )

So what have I played this week? Well, I'm about half-way through The Longest Journey. The narrative is really great, but it does suffer from being a very old-school point and click adventure game. Preface, one of the games that made me want to design games was The Secret of Monkey Island. Guybrush Threepwood is one of my favorite characters of all time. This doesn't mean that I like all the design decisions from the games though. Specifically, I've never been a huge fan of the classic "Well, no idea what to do now, let me try combining every single item in my inventory" dilemma. It may have had some strange, endearing quality when I was a kid, but now I'd prefer to get through the narrative with puzzles that are a bit more logical than "use the rubber duck to hold the clamp open and put it on a string so that you can then fish out the key." I'm still going to finish, though, because I am intrigued and do want to get to Dreamfall and Dreamfall Chapters.

However, I did buy another game without having finished one. It's called GRAV, and it just released in Early Access form on Steam. I put a lot more time into this than any other game this week. It's pretty great thus far. We built bases, danced around fires to regain health, found crashed ships and overrun science labs, built really derpy armor, built better armor, and much more. I've found it incredibly compelling thus far, plus I can run my own server. Some pictures are at the bottom.

I've also started a portable game to play both in bed and when I'm not at home. However, this isn't one I purchased, it's one I already had. I'm not really sure how I'll judge when I've completed Final Fantasy Theaterhythm: Curtain Call, but I'm sure I'll when I consider it "done." Probably after playing every song at least once. So far I'm enjoying it.

Currently Playing: The Longest Journey, Grav, Final Fantasy Theaterhythm: Curtain Call
Games Completed: 0
Games Purchased: 1
Net Total: -1

(buy Grav, everyone)






No comments:

Post a Comment